The Great Plains International Marimba Competition seeks to provide an avenue for musical growth of young marimbists around the world through educational and competitive experiences. This competition seeks to help educate student musicians and to contribute to the quality and evolution of marimba performance. Competitors will prepare solo marimba repertoire from a prescribed list and compete in a taped round for a chance to compete in the live rounds. The live rounds will be hosted at the Wanda L. Bass School of Music at Oklahoma City University.
Oklahoma Modern Music Collective
With the continual disruptions caused by COVID-19, we have decided that the best course of action is to suspend the 8th Annual Great Plains International Marimba Competition. Here’s what you need to know:
1. We will accept audio recordings from now until April 1, 2021 for the 2021 competition. This allows people to record now if they would like to.
2. Anyone who has submitted the application fee will have it refunded, unless they would like for us to keep it as their 2021 entry fee.
3. Both the Collegiate/Open category and the Open Duo category will be open to anyone that was eligible to compete this year. This is similar to what WGI is doing regarding age-outs, and hopefully what DCI will do.
4. The high school category will remain unchanged. If you are a high school senior, you will need to compete in the Collegiate/Open category next year.
5. We fully intend for the same judges to participate next year – if anything changes we will post it.
6. Please follow the Great Plains International Marimba Competition Facebook page to keep up to date (linked below). This group will be disbanded, as it is a much less efficient way for us to distribute information.
7. Send any questions to email@example.com
Thank you, The Great Plains International Marimba Competition
2020 Composition Contest Winning Embracing Uncertainty by Chris Prather
Click here to listen.
Last Year’s Information:
Oklahoma City University, Wanda L. Bass School of Music
WANDA L. BASS FOUNDATION
Putnam City North Band Boosters
The University of Oklahoma Percussion Program